Tuesday, October 11, 2016

Week 4 (Hearts Turning Outward)


As new rules that were not included in the white handbook have been made known to me, I will be more strictly obedient in my diligence in keeping all of the rules,(big and small) so forgive me for my possibly shorter email today. 


These last 4 weeks have changed me in ways I would have never thought possible. In one great aspect, I have been humbled greatly. 


I have bore my testimony in Thai so many times that I can no longer count but yesterday, I was able to testify of God with the spirit resonating within me for the first time. We extended the invitation for baptism and she accepted. My investigator Phii Bam (actually Sister Cutler) was beginning to tear up. It will obviously be a lot harder in Thailand but I am beginning to really love teaching my mock investigators. Alone, I would have never been able to do this. Not even with years of studying the language but with the Savior and through the Holy Ghost, I was able to touch the heart of my investigator. The Savior is turning me into fishers of men.


I am still years away from the mastery of the language but the Lord has been qualifying me in ways I would have never imagined. This has made me realize the very real importance of always having the spirit to be with you. The promise that has been made possible by the Atonement of our Savior Jesus Christ. The promise that you will never be left comfortless, lost in fear, or blinded in hatred should you turn your heart towards the Savior.

 

Elder Holland gave a talk in some great part of history inside of the MTC entitled something along the lines of "Missions are Forever" or "Missionary Work and The Atonement." Elder Holland talked about how we as missionaries have more authority on this Earth than any Prince, President, or member of parliament. With this, he stated with his sometimes blunt but true and resonating response of "Act Like It." It's sometimes hard to imagine yourself walking on behalf of the Savior, but when this is constantly within your memories reach your heart changes when something doesn't go your way. Your patience is extended, your love increased, the Lord will continually change you into the magnificent being He desires you to become. Elder Holland spoke something along the lines of,"no man  has been changed as greatly as I was on my mission."I hope that I may follow in his footsteps of great change. Of my heart turning outward to my Savior and those around me so that I may bear witness of the living Christ.


My heart once and still vain and prideful has begun to turn outward into the love of not myself but those that surround me. I have found a greater love and appreciation for my family, friends, District, and Zone. I thought I knew already, but I am learning how to love all over again. I thought I knew what a testimony was, but I am beginning to recognize what it truly is. 

On a side note, I am sorry for murmuring for the food in the MTC. I feel that I have been ungrateful for the blessings I have been receiving greatly and abundantly. It was selfish of me to be blessed so greatly, and complain about the one thing that isn't going my way. I'm sure I have a lot more to apologize for but until it is made known unto me through the Spirit, I will conclude this weeks email with that. 



I'm so grateful for the opportunity I have to serve a mission. My heart is so full of joy. There is nothing else I would rather be doing. 


I'm sorry if I'm not able to reply to all of you. By following the rules I only have an hour a day to view and reply on P-day.

No comments:

Post a Comment